Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gay Pride


If you live in Toronto as I do, you'll notice there are alot more colours around lately. Rainbow colours. Yes, June marks the GAYest month of the year, where all the free lovers get together and throw lavish parties and parades that seem like all fun and games, but are laced with serious and important messages. Too long have homosexual men and woman been persecuted, and the fact that this is even still a tiny bit of an issue in 2010 makes me extremely sad. Anyone who knows me knows I am relentless in my defence and support of my beloved gays, and lucky for me, I get to work very closely with a large variety of them. I've heard every kind of slander that is geared towards gays, and also every stereotype, so I'm gonna try and clear up some misconceptions people may have, for the love of GAYS!

1. Gay guys are feminine and flamboyant
Yes, SOME gay guys are feminine, SOME gay guys are flamboyant, but MOST are NOT! Regardless of what people say about their trusty "Gay-dar" it is IMPOSSIBLE to spot a gay guy, or even determine that they're gay from one conversation. I know this may surprise you but, gay guys are just like us! They are very straight looking business men, lawyers, dentists..maybe even YOUR dentist! And some of these men I see everyday on a regular basis and wouldn't know they were gay without having to witness them kissing another man first. I know that there are a lot of gay who are obviously gay at first glance, but a lot more of them are much harder to read. I'm sure there's someone you know who's gay unbeknownst to you and unless they've got "I Love Cock" printed on their foreheads, you might never find out.

2. Gay guys are sluts
Gay guys are people. Some people are slutty, some are not. I know lots of married gay guys, lots of masculine gay guys and lots of slutty gay guys. Replace the words 'gay guy' with 'people'.

3. Being gay is a choice
If being gay was a choice, than all gay guys must be extremely stupid. Why would anyone choose a lifestyle that so many people criticize? And it's dangerous because of the crazy murderous people who, for some reason, take great personal offense to what other people do in their homes. Love is love. We are human and we love each other, regardless of their gender. Not all love is about sex. I could love a girl. Sex is just another aspect of love, so if I loved another girl, we'd make it work in the bedroom even if it isn't "ideal", because we love each other! But then again, sexual attractiveness plays a big part in any relationship, so you cannot CHOOSE to find someone attractive, or you're life would suck. I don't think all these gays have been fighting for so long over something they have the choice of changing.

Whatever you feel, know this: Gay people have been around as long as straight people. There were gays in the Holocaust, gays in Egypt and so on. It's not going away and it's inevitably part of our human way. As long as people live, gays will as well. So stop fighting it! Why does it matter if it doesn't appeal to you? Who you love or what you do sexually is the smallest factor of determining who you are. One Love.

(In the words of the lovely John Lennon)
Love is real, real is love,
Love is feeling, feeling love,
Love is wanting to be loved.
Love is touch, touch is love,
Love is reaching, reaching love,
Love is asking to be loved.
Love is you,
You and me,
Love is knowing,
We can be.
Love is free, free is love,
Love is living, living love,
Love is needing to be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment